Cotton bags are an excellent reusable option for storing and carrying a variety of items including clothing, groceries, baked goods, toiletries, jewellery and wedding favours.
Cotton is very durable and has the unique property of increasing in strength when wet. To get the most life out of of a cotton bag, it’s important to clean it regularly because stains can weaken cotton fibre and cause it to tear.
By following the cleaning tips below, it’s easy to care for a cotton bag so it can be reused successfully for a long time.
1. Shake and/or brush away any dirt or crumbs that are in and on the bag.
2. In a basin of cool water add a small amount of eco-friendly laundry detergent. Soak the bag in the basin for at least 10 minutes.
3. If there are stains on the bag, gently rub the stains with a soft sponge using a circular motion to remove them.
If the bag is heavily stained by oily ingredients in the baked good, before soaking the bag in the basin, sprinkle talcum powder or cornstarch on the stain to absorb the oil and prevent the stain from spreading. Leave the powder on the stain for a few hours, then gently brush off the powder with a soft sponge. Follow by soaking the bag in cool water and eco-friendly detergent as described above.
4. Rinse the clean bag with cool water to remove all traces of detergent and powder.
5. Don’t wring the bag to remove moisture before drying because that can stretch the cotton fibres, warping the shape of the bag.
Hang the bag up to air dry for several hours in a well ventilated dry spot. An ideal spot to dry the bag is on a clothesline or similar in the sun on a warm clear day. Don’t dry the bag in a clothes dryer because the heat will be excessive, shrinking the cotton.
Cotton Barons’ eco-friendly reusable cotton bags can be customized with colour, prints and logos too.